The Eleanor Campbell Charitable Fund, Inc., formerly the Deering Foundation, is a small private foundation that was established in 1931 as the result of a special gift from Dr. Eleanor Campbell.
One of the more significant and recurring activities taken on by the Directors of the Fund is to award scholarships to graduates of both Hillsboro-Deering and John Stark Regional High schools. These scholarships are awarded on the basis of scholastic achievement as demonstrated not only by excellence, but by effort and dedication. There is a leaning toward students interested in the medical area and other fields that provide social services, reflecting Dr. Campbell’s specific interests.
Dr. Campbell was a pioneering woman who attended medical school and became a leading doctor in New York City. With the help of Dr. A. Ray Petty, pastor of the Judson Memorial Church in New York City, she founded the Judson Health Center and devoted her life to working with health services
to the poor in the city.